The law is a minefield.

The only way that a point of law will be ever be clarified is if it is taken to court. But unless there is agreement it will inevitably have to be taken to a higher court. Scottish Water Business Stream have enormously deep pockets, which enable them to keep matters going to the exhaustion of the smaller party.

The Citizens Advice Bureau is always a good port of call. However, there is evidence to suggest that in the matter of Water Charges in Leased Property that does NOT have a Water Supply or a Sewerage Connection, the responsible person has been advised that the advice on this web site is erroneous. We beg to differ.

The same can also be said of the Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations.

The FSB [National Federation of Self Employed & Small Businesses Limited] can also assist with advice. Be advised however that their legal advice is restricted to matters which are covered under their insurance activities. Regrettable they do not provide insurance realting to "Water", by which the mean water, sewerage, and drainage matters. On the ground the FSB is a highly fragmented organisation and you will need to find the right branch in the right area. There are four regions in Scotland each with several branches.

The contact details of the responsible person or section, as far as we can establish, are:

  • FSB
    • Website:
    • Development Manager [West of Scotland]: Hisashi Kuboyama. email: Tel: 01417 630727, Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 
    • Addresss: 17 Chisholm Ave, Bishopton, PA7 5LH
  • Citizens Advice Scotland
    • Policy Manager: Gail Walker, Tel: 0131 550 7189, Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    • Address: Spectrum House, 2 Powderhall Road Edinbugh EH7 4GB
    • Website:
  • Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations
    • Information Line: 0800 169 0022, Reception: 0131 474 8000, ask for the Policy Office.
    • Address: Fairways House, Fairways Business Park, Inverness IV2 6AA
    • Website:, Twitter: @scvotweet
    • Remit: Supporting, promoting & connecting Scotland's third sector

So although you will get advice, you may not necessarily like it. Please also read the article on "A Clear Up Agenda". One of the political problems is the coercion exerted by one organisation upon others such as the above. 

It is strongly recommended that you seek legal assistance, in the first instance from a practising solicitor. The law is very expensive, and Scottish Water Business Stream rely on this when pursuing you - so it is often commercially sensible to ignore the rights of the matter, and simply pay up. However, if you feel otherwise, there are some "free legal services" [called Pro Bono] in Scotland.

The Faculty of Advocates can provide Pro Bono services. See their page at

[Updated 16 Feb 2018] The Law Society of Scotland used to be able to render assistance through the Scottish Legal Services Trust. The relevant page is no longer available. The Law Society's page ia at: